Results of the Third Phase of the High Impact Hiring Plan

I am pleased to announce the results of the third round of our High Impact Hiring Plan, which leverages our resources to develop UCI as an innovative and transformative university committed to inclusive excellence.

The five complete proposals submitted in April 2015 were fully vetted by the Academic Planning Group, the deans, and the ADVANCE Program Advising Committee. Ratings and extended deliberations about the proposals produced detailed recommendations that were extremely helpful in my final selection of two proposals for funding at this time:

Salivary Bioscience: An advanced and highly interdisciplinary initiative to use salivary biomarkers to investigate a range of issues of great societal importance, including the development of obesity in youth; brain development and risk behavior in adolescence; injury and violence prevention; HIV prevention among low-income, ethnic minority populations; and environmental exposure to infectious diseases.

Restoring Opportunity through Educational Interventions: A unique approach to promote diversity and to place UCI at the forefront of education-based efforts to solve a critical national problem of restoring opportunities for economic mobility for disadvantaged children through the improvement of the quality of students' daily school-based learning experiences.

I have already begun work with the authors of these proposals and the deans of the involved schools to develop a recruitment plan for the principal and cluster appointments. The scope and process of implementing the proposals will vary among these projects, but they will all conform to our campus-wide standards of excellence and inclusion, as well as our usual search policies and practices.

The proposals received in this process were innovative and remarkable, and I want to thank everyone for the time, effort, and thought that went into preparing and reviewing them.

Sincerely,

Enrique J. Lavernia
Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor