I am pleased to share with you the news that we are initiating a national search to identify the next Vice Chancellor of Research. We seek to attract an outstanding candidate to provide leadership and vision as we move forward to promote, facilitate, and grow research activities at UCI.
We have formed the search committee that will help guide this important recruitment. Bearing in mind our compelling interest in inclusive excellence, the committee is charged with finding superlative candidates with exemplary administrative and academic leadership experience who are capable of leading UCI's research enterprise. The committee is chaired by Bill Maurer, dean of the School of Social Sciences and professor of anthropology and law, and includes the following members:
- Aileen Anderson, professor, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Edward Dimendberg, professor, Department of Film and Media Studies
- Anthony James, distinguished professor, Department of Microbiology & Molecular Genetics and Department of Molecular Biology & Biochemistry
- Judy Olson, professor, Department of Informatics
- Kyhm Penfil, campus counsel, Chancellor's Office
- Carolyn Stephens, associate director, UCI Applied Innovation
- Bruce Tromberg, director, Beckman Laser Institute; professor, Department of Surgery and Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Gregory Washington, dean, The Henry Samueli School of Engineering
We have engaged the services of Issacson, Miller, a nationally recognized academic search consultant, to assist the committee.
The committee will begin its deliberations soon. We welcome written input regarding the search process or potential candidates. All correspondence will be held in the strictest confidence. Written comments or nominations should be addressed to:
Vice Chancellor of Research Search Committee
In Care of Ramona Agrela, associate chancellor; chief human resources executive
4199 Campus Drive, Zot Code 1905
Nominations and applications will be reviewed by the committee as they are submitted, and the position will remain open until it is filled.
Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor
Distinguished Professor of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science