Cybersecurity mandatory training reminder

Dear Colleagues,

As announced in early November, President Napolitano has mandated a new online cybersecurity training course for all University of California staff and faculty. This is one of many steps being taken to strengthen UC’s overall security posture in response to escalating threats.

I understand that everyone is busy and this new requirement adds one more thing to your plate. However, if you have not already taken the course, I encourage you to do so.

The content is new to UC and was created by the SANS Institute, well-known in the security training community. The course is video-based and comprehensive. Feedback from those who have completed it has been very positive. I believe you will find the course helpful in both your professional and personal lives.

Cybersecurity is a significant challenge to us all, and having a community that’s well-educated on risks and best practices is an important part of protecting ourselves.

If you have already taken the cybersecurity course, thank you. If you have not, I hope you will find a chance to do so as soon as practical. Information on accessing the course is provided below.

Sincerely,

Enrique Lavernia
Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor
Distinguished Professor of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science

Each member of the university community has a responsibility to safeguard the information assets entrusted to us. This training program will better prepare all of us to fulfill this responsibility and will strengthen our defenses against future attacks.

This course will take about 50 minutes and may be completed in more than one sitting. A “bookmark” function will remember the modules already finished.

President Napolitano is asking everyone to complete the course by Jan. 31, 2016. You can access the course via the UC Learning Center.

To log in to the UC Learning Center:

• 1. Go to uclc.uci.edu
  • 2. Click the yellow login button 
  • 3. Enter your UCInetID and password 
  • 4. Make sure you are on the learner page (hover over the learner tab and select “dashboard”) 
  • 5. Type “cyber security” in the search box 
  • 6. Click “start” to the right of the course “UC Cyber Security Awareness Training”