New dean, School of Education

Dear colleagues,

I am delighted to announce that Richard Arum, chair of New York University’s Department of Sociology, has been selected as dean of UCI’s School of Education, effective June 30, 2016.

During nearly 16 years at NYU, Arum – a professor of sociology and education – has chaired the Department of Humanities & Social Sciences in the Professions and served as the Steinhardt School of Education’s director of research. He also has served as interim director of NYU’s Institute of Human Development & Social Change. In 2013, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation named him senior fellow of its U.S. programs. He is currently president-elect of the American Sociological Association’s sociology of education section.

Professor Arum is an expert on the legal and institutional environments of schools, social stratification and digital education. He has done very influential research on the effectiveness of college education at preparing students for transitions to adulthood. His work focuses on student work habits, curriculum content, and the development of critical thinking skills. I am thrilled that Professor Arum will be working with Vice Provost for Teaching and Learning Michael Dennin and other leaders across our campus who are helping us become a first choice school for more students.

I am grateful to the search committee and its chair, Distinguished Professor of Education Jacquelynne Eccles, for their dedicated efforts and contributions to the search process. My personal thanks, along with the appreciation of all of us on campus, are extended to Professor Mark Warschauer, who has served so ably as interim dean and will continue in this role through the end of this academic year.

We look forward to Professor Arum becoming a member of the Anteater family. Please join me in welcoming him to UCI.

Sincerely,

Enrique Lavernia
Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor
Distinguished Professor of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science