Dean, Donald Bren School of Information and Computer Sciences

Dear colleagues,

On behalf of Chancellor Gillman, I am pleased to announce that Marios C. Papaefthymiou has been appointed dean of the Donald Bren School of Information and Computer Sciences, effective Jan. 1, 2017.

Marios currently serves as chair of computer science and engineering and professor of electrical engineering and computer science at the University of Michigan, where he has been a longtime advocate for innovation in education. He brings an interdisciplinary approach to teaching and research, capitalizing on the pervasiveness of computing and computing science in almost all areas of life and study, including health, education, economics, the sciences and the performing arts. This dedication to cross-disciplinary work, combined with deep inquiry, will help usher the Bren School into a new era of excellence.

At Michigan, Marios led computer science and engineering through a five-year period of remarkable growth and inclusive excellence, during which the faculty increased by almost two thirds. Marios helped launch an interdisciplinary program in data science and supported establishment of introductory courses in computing geared toward students from across the campus. He also championed an initiative to enhance collaboration between computer science and engineering and the School of Medicine. Prior to his appointment as chair, he directed Michigan’s Advanced Computer Architecture Laboratory for 11 years. He also taught at Yale for three years.

Marios is an expert in energy-efficient computing and has authored more than 100 publications. A number of energy-saving technologies pioneered in his research group have been commercialized and are currently used in high-performance servers of leading computer vendors. His many accolades include a Young Investigator Award from the Army Research Office, a CAREER award from the National Science Foundation and several IBM Faculty Partnership Awards. He earned doctoral and master’s degrees in electrical engineering and computer science at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and a bachelor’s in electrical engineering at the California Institute of Technology. Having worked in computing before the internet and smartphones, Marios sees the field as a fresh, exciting frontier with limitless possibilities. We are proud to have him on our team.

I am grateful to the search committee and its chair, Padhraic Smyth, director of the UCI Data Science Initiative and professor of computer science, for their dedicated efforts and vital contributions to the search process. My personal thanks, along with the appreciation of all of us on campus, are extended to Hal Stern, who has served so ably as dean and will continue in this role through the end of the calendar year.

We look forward to Marios becoming a member of the Anteater family. Please join me in welcoming him to UCI.

Sincerely,

Enrique Lavernia
Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor
Distinguished Professor of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science