Dean Chemerinsky, School of Law

Dear colleagues,

Erwin Chemerinsky, dean of the School of Law, has notified the chancellor and me that he has accepted a position as dean of the UC Berkeley School of Law, effective July 1. We will conduct a national search for a successor and will begin discussions with the faculty shortly. I am pleased to announce that Associate Dean Song Richardson will serve as interim dean during this time of transition.

On behalf of Chancellor Gillman, I want to express our deep gratitude to Erwin. As founding dean of the School of Law, Dean Chemerinsky has provided expert leadership as the school has made enormous academic progress. In 2015, UCI law faculty were ranked sixth in the nation for scholarly impact. Just last year, UCI Law was elected into the Association of American Law Schools, joining 179 other eminent members producing the majority of the nation’s top lawyers, judges and lawmakers. The school has achieved the highest debut rankings and reputation of any new law school in U.S. history.

Dean Chemerinsky has fostered a cutting-edge approach to legal education not found at other law schools, with a focus on methods of analysis, real-world client advocacy starting in the first year of study, distinctive courses, mandatory clinical experience, and integrating traditional doctrinal coursework with the practical. This unique, hands-on philosophy prepares our students for legal practice at the highest levels of the profession.

Please join the chancellor and me in thanking Erwin for his outstanding service to UCI.

Sincerely,

Enrique Lavernia

Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor
Distinguished Professor of Chemical Engineering & Materials Science